Providing Proof of residential address

Providing photo ID is part of our identity verification process which Private Box is required to complete as part of our compliance with New Zealand's Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009. Staff may ask customers to provide proof of residential address.

This can be one of the following documents that have been issued in the last 12 months:

  • Utility bill
  • Rates bill
  • Bank account statement
  • Government or Government Dept document
  • Local Council notification/demand
  • Court document
  • Rental tenancy agreement
  • IRD tax notice/certificate
  • Electronic yellow pages
  • Electronic white pages
  • Electoral roll papers
  • Insurance policy document
  • Car registration notification/demand
  • Non-bank financial institution statement
  • Educational institution; letter from educational facility, must be on letterhead paper and signed by person in authority confirming residential address
  • Employer-provided accommodation letter
  • Host letter
  • Short-term accommodation letter
  • Student accommodation letter

Please be advised that you cannot use an address belonging to another mail forwarding company as your residential address.  The residential address MUST be the address where you currently live.

Customers under 18 years old 

Customers under 18 years of age require guardian verification. This can be done by:

  • Matching parent name on birth certificate to parent address verification: or –
  • Letter from a parent or guardian & parent or guardian address verification: or –
  • Parent or guardian presenting themselves & address verification face to face.

Again, documents for parent address verification must have been issued in the last 12 months.

Supplying proof of address document

See: How do I supply documents?

Have more questions? Submit a request