NZ Company (if owned by an Overseas company this is called a "Subsidiary")
- Resident in NZ for tax
- A subsidiary is required to file audited financial statements relating to its New Zealand business only.
- As of May 2015 at least one director needs to be a NZ resident
- Liability of company is up to the initial capital used to create the company
Overseas Company ("Branch")
- Generally considered non resident
- A New Zealand branch of an overseas company must file two separate sets of audited financial statements, one for its worldwide operations and one for its New Zealand business.
- No limitation
- A New Zealand branch (being legally the overseas company), bears directly any liabilities that it may incur under New Zealand law.